TRAILBLAZING WOMEN’S ENTERPRISE NETWORK AND U.S. STATE DEPARTMENT, IDB, WALMART ANNOUNCE JOINT INITIATIVE TO CONNECT WOMEN-OWNED BUSINESSES IN LATIN AMERICA WITH MULTINATIONAL CORPORATIONS
WASHINGTON, DC (PRWEB JUNE 05, 2012
WEConnect International, the Washington, D.C. based, corporate-led non-profit that empowers women-owned businesses to thrive in global markets, is harnessing the power of successful global leaders to grow and strengthen its community.
The newly established WEConnect International Global Advisory Board is comprised of accomplished senior-level executives and thought-leaders representing private sector, public sector and civil society. The Advisory Board will play a central role in assisting WEConnect International broaden its reach into new markets and cultures by providing real-life expertise and guidance to organization officers, and to WEConnect International Corporate Members who represent representing more than US$700 billion in annual purchasing power.men-owned businesses to thrive in global markets, is harnessing the power of successful global leaders to grow and strengthen its community.
“The WEConnect International Global Advisory Board is a remarkable group of leaders,” says Elizabeth Vazquez, WEConnect International CEO and co-founder. “Utilizing their experiences and voices to grow our global community and create new relationships for our Corporate Members and our women business owners will maximize opportunities for everyone involved in the WEConnect International network.”
The founding WEConnect International Global Advisory Board includes:
- Kim Azzarelli, President, Women in the World Foundation and Vice President, New Ventures, Newsweek Daily Beast
- Ruma Bose, Venture Capitalist and Author, “Mother Teresa, CEO”
- Lorely Burt, Member of Parliament, UK House of Commons
- Amanda Ellis, Deputy Secretary International Development and Head of New Zealand Aid Programme
- Barbara Frankel, Senior Vice President, Executive Editor, DiversityInc
- Baroness Mary Goudie, Member of Parliament, UK House of Lords
- Ana Guevera, President, Aventi
- Meg Jones, Women and Trade Programme Manager, International Trade Centre
- Kathleen Matthews, Executive Vice President and Chief Communications and External Affairs Officer, Marriott International
- Julie Oyegun, Chief Diversity Officer, The World Bank Group
- Astrid Pregel, Director General, Corporate Services, International Platform Branch, Canadian International Development Agency
- Kari Reston, Head, Talent and Learning, Americas, and Special Advisor, Group Diversity and Inclusion, Standard Chartered Bank
- Catherine Rogers, Vice President, Global Engagement Office, IBM
- Andrew Sherman, M+A and Corporate, Jones Day
- Parul Soni, Executive Director and Leader, Development Advisory Services, Ernst & Young
- Abby Spring, Senior Vice President, Global Social Responsibility, Edelman
- Linda Tarr-Whelan, Author and Distinguished Senior Fellow, Demos
- Diane Tompson, President, Novaris
- Gayle Tzemach Lemmon, Author, Journalist and Deputy Director, Council on Foreign Relation’s Women and Foreign Policy Program
- Julie Weeks, President and CEO, Womenable
About WEConnect International
WEConnect International, a corporate-led non-profit, helps build sustainable communities and economic growth by empowering women business owners to succeed in global markets. Based in Washington, D.C., WEConnect International has since 2009 provided certification, resources, mentoring and peer/corporate connections to businesses based outside the United States that are at least 51 percent owned, managed and controlled by one or more women. WEConnect International is the first organization to certify women-owned businesses in both developed and emerging markets, and its professional network extends throughout Canada, Europe, Latin America and Asia.
WEConnect International Corporate Members are true pioneers in inclusive sourcing and global supplier development: Accenture, Alcatel-Lucent, AT&T, Boeing, Cisco, Coca-Cola, Cummins, D.W. Morgan, Dun & Bradstreet, Ernst & Young, ExxonMobil, Full Circle Exchange, GlaxoSmithKline, Goldman Sachs, HP, IBM, Intel, Johnson & Johnson, Manpower, Marriott, Microsoft, Motorola, Pfizer, PG&E, Royal Bank of Scotland, Verizon, Walmart and Wellpoint.